As HMS Uganda, the name-ship of her class, she was completed January 3, 1943, at Vickers-Armstrong Ltd., Newcastle-on-Tyne. After working up with the Home Fleet she joined Plymouth Command in April for operations in the Bay of Biscay and the English Channel, and in July joined the 15th Cruiser Squadron, Mediterranean Fleet, as part of Force "K." She was badly damaged by a German glider bomb on September 13, 1943, while supporting the Allied landing at Salerno, Italy, and arrived at Charleston, S.C., in November for a year of repair work. Presented to the RCN, the ship was commissioned HMCS Uganda on October 21, 1944, at Charleston, and in November returned to the U.K. for further modifications. She left in January, 1945, for the Pacific via the Suez Canal, to join the 4th Cruiser Squadron, British Pacific Fleet. In April she joined Task Force 57 in the Okinawa area, and was thereafter principally employed in screening the Fleet's aircraft carriers operating against Japanese airfields in the Ryukyu Islands. On June 14 she participated in the bombardment of Truk, and in July supported carriers operating against Tokyo. She left the Fleet late in July and arrived at Esquimalt on August 10 for refit. Uganda spent the rest of her career as a training ship, having been renamed Quebec on January 14, 1952. Paid off on June 13, 1956, she arrived at Osaka, Japan, on February 6, 1961, to be broken up.
Renamed QUEBEC, 1952