Commissioned at Montreal on November 27, 1943, Stormont arrived at Halifax in December worked up in St. Margaret's Bay and in mid-March, 1944 sailed for Londonderry to join EG 9. She was present on D-Day, and in July, 1944 assisted the damaged HMCS Matane toward Plymouth. In October she escorted a convoy to Gibraltar and, in December, escorted convoy JW62 to Kola Inlet and RA.62 back. She left Londonderry on December 19, 1944, for Halifax and tropicalization refit at Shelburne. The latter, begun in June, was discontinued on August 20 and the ship was paid off November 9, 1945. She was sold in 1947 to a Montevideo buyer for conversion to a merchant ship, but was resold in 1951. Converted at Kiel, 1952-54, to a luxury yacht for Aristotle Onassis, she was renamed Christina. In 2012 it was reported that she was located in London, and open to sightseers
unfolded on the decks of the former HMCS Stormont, a ship that only truly became famous after it was sold off by the Canadian government and luxuriously refitted in the 1950s by Greek businessman Aristotle Onassis — who went on to host many of the world’s most glamorous and powerful guests aboard his legendary warship-turned-mega-yacht Christina O.