The History of the RUNNYMEDE

Runnymede was commissioned on June 14, 1944, at Montreal and arrived in Bermuda for workups toward the end of July. On August 21 she returned to Halifax to become Senior Officer's ship of EG C-5, and was to wear its barber pole stripes the rest of her wartime career. She left Londonderry toward the end of May, 1945, and made her passage home as escort to convoy ON.305. She left Halifax on June 20 for Esquimalt, arriving July 18, and early in August commenced tropicalization refit at North Vancouver. Work was soon suspended and she sailed for Esquimalt to be Placed in reserve, though not paid off until January 19, 1946. Sold in 1947, she is reported to have been expended as part of a breakwater at Kelsey Bay, B.C., in 1948.

RUNNYMEDE Statistical Data

  • Pendant: K678
  • Type: Frigate
  • Class: RIVER Class 43-44 Programme
  • Displacement: 1445 tonnes
  • Length: 301.5 ft
  • Width: 36.6 ft
  • Draught: 9 ft
  • Speed: 19 kts
  • Compliment: 8 Officers and 133 Crew
  • Arms: 2-4" (1 x II), 4-20mm, Hedgehog
  • Builder: Canadian Vickers Ltd., Montreal. Que.
  • Keel Laid: 09-Nov-43
  • Date Launched: 27-Nov-43
  • Date Commissioned: 14-Jun-44
  • Paid off: 19-Jan-46

Keywords: HMCS RUNNYMEDE, Royal Canadian Navy Ship, Frigate, RIVER Class 43-44 Programme Class