Named for Minas Basin in the Bay of Fundy, she was built at Vancouver and commissioned there August 2, 1941. She sailed for Halifax on September 13, arriving on October 14. After brief service with Sydney Force, she was assigned in January 1942, to Newfoundland Force. That November she transferred to WLEF, and when WLEF was divided into escort groups in June, 1943, she became a member of EG W-7. That December she was reassigned to W-4. On February 1, 1943, she collided with HMS Liscomb outside Halifax, necessitating a month's repairs. Minas left Halifax for the U.K. on February 20, 1944, with Blairmore, Fort William and Milltown, via the Azores. On arrival in the U.K. on March 8, she was assigned to the 31st Minesweeping Flotilla for invasion duties' and was on hand on D-Day. In September she proceeded to Canada to refit at Dartmouth, N.S., returning to Plymouth in January 1945. There she rejoined the 31st Flotilla until she sailed again for Canada on September 4. She was paid off into reserve at Shelburne on October 6, 1945, and later moved to Sorel, but was reacquired by the RCN in 1952 and recommissioned on March 15, 1955 for training on the west coast. Paid off on November 7, 1955, she was sold in August, 1958, and broken up at Seattle the following year.
After 1949 Recommissioned as Pendant 189.