HMCS ELK (S05/Z27)


The History of the ELK

Elk was built in 1926 by the Newport News Shipbuilding Company, Newport News, Virginia, and was originally named Arcadia.

The outbreak of the Second World War led to her being pressed into service with the Royal Canadian Navy, who commissioned her on 10 September 1940. They renamed her Elk, in common with the conventions where armed yachts took the names of animals native to Canada. She had the pendant number S05, this later being changed to Z27. She was mostly employed on convoy escort duties, sailing with outward bound convoys from ports such as Halifax and Sydney, Nova Scotia until they had left Canadian waters. She would also meet inbound convoys and bring them into port.

She survived the war and was decommissioned on 4 August 1945.

ELK Statistical Data

  • Pendant: S05/Z27
  • Type: Armed Yacht
  • Class: N/A
  • Displacement: 578 tonnes
  • Length: 188 ft
  • Width: 27 ft
  • Draught: 11 ft
  • Speed: 11 kts
  • Compliment: 5 Officers and 35 Crew
  • Arms: 1-4"
  • Builder: Newport News SB. Co., Newport News, Va.
  • Keel Laid: Unknown
  • Date Launched: 1926
  • Date Commissioned: 10/09/1940
  • Paid off: 04/08/1945


Formerly the Arcadia.

Keywords: HMCS ELK, Royal Canadian Navy Ship, Armed Yacht, N/A Class