Built for the RN but transferred to the RCN for manning, Canso was commissioned at Vancouver on March 6, 1942. After working up, she was assigned to Esquimalt Force from May, 1942 to July, 1943, when nominated for service in the Atlantic. She left Esquimalt on July 8, 1943, arriving at Halifax on August 19, and was allocated to Halifax Force. On February 21, 1944, with Guysborough, Kenora, and Wasaga, she sailed from Halifax via the Azores for Plymouth, arriving on March 8. She was allocated in turn to the 32nd, 16th, and 31st Minesweeping Flotillas, and was on hand on D-Day. In August she returned briefly to Canada for a refit at Saint John, N.B., and in November resumed her task of clearing German minefields. She was paid off on September 24, 1945, and returned to the RN at Sheerness, to be broken up at Sunderland in 1948.