The only sailing vessel among the thirteen ships serving in the RCN on the eve of the Second World War, this three-masted schooner was built at Meteghan, Nova Scotia, and commissioned on 25 October 1937 as a training ship. With war imminent, VENTURE was paid off on 1 September 1939 to become an accommodation vessel at Halifax for ratings on the staff of the Rear Admiral, 3rd Battleship Squadron, RN. In November 1941, she was commissioned as guard ship at Tuft’s Cove, at the entrance to Bedford Basin. She gave up her name on 13 May 1943 to the former yacht Seaborn and thereafter was known as Harbour Craft 190. She was sold on 10 December 1945 to a Halifax firm and renamed Alfred & Emily. Engaged first in the sealing trade and then in carrying coal, she was lost by fire at sea in 1951.
Became Harbour Craft 190 in 1943. Renamed Alfred & Emily after paying off.