HMCS SASKATCHEWAN (2nd) (262)
The History of the SASKATCHEWAN (2nd)
HMCS Saskatchewan (DDE 262) was a Mackenzie-class destroyer that served in the Royal Canadian Navy and later the Canadian Forces.
She is the second Canadian naval unit to bear the name HMCS Saskatchewan.
Saskatchewan was laid down on 28 October 1959 at Victoria Machinery Depot Ltd., Victoria and launched on 1 February 1961. In September 1961 she was moved to Yarrows Shipyard for completion. She was commissioned into the RCN on 16 February 1963.
Saskatchewan served her entire career with the RCN's Pacific Fleet and later the CF's Maritime Forces Pacific (MARPAC), largely as a training ship. She underwent the Destroyer Life Extension Project (DELEX) in 1984 and was paid off by Maritime Command on 28 March 1994.
Saskatchewan's hulk was purchased by the Artificial Reef Society of British Columbia in 1997 and she was scuttled off Nanaimo on 14 June 1997.
SASKATCHEWAN (2nd) Statistical Data
- Pendant: 262
- Type: Destroyer Escort
- Class: Mackenzie
- Displacement: 2,380 tonnes
- Length: 366 ft
- Width: 42 ft
- Draught: 13.5 ft
- Speed: 28 kts
- Compliment: 12 Officers and 233 Crew
- Arms: 4 - 3" (2 x II), 2 Limbo, Homing Torpedoes.
- Builder: Victoria Machinery Depot Ltd., Victoria, BC
- Keel Laid: 29-Oct-59
- Date Launched: 01-Feb-61
- Date Commissioned: 16-Feb-63
- Paid off: 03-Dec-93
Major refit (DELEX) in 1984. Sunk as an artificial reef June 14, 1997 off Snake Island near Nanaimo, B.C. (Position: 49 12.96 N, 123 53.070 W)