Laid down as HMS Sherborne Castle, she was transferred to the RCN and commissioned on June 29, 1944, at Belfast. Following workups at Tobermory, she joined EG C-4 at Londonderry in August, leaving on September 2 for her first convoy, ONS.251. An ocean escort for the rest of the war, she left Londonderry for the last time early in June, 1945. In August Petrolia underwent a refit at Charlottetown and was placed in maintenance reserve at Halifax in October. Paid off at Liverpool, N.S. on March 8, 1946, she was sold not long afterward to a New York buyer and renamed Maid of Athens. In 1947 she was transferred to Indian registry and renamed Bharat Laxmi, serving as such until broken up at Bombay in 1965.
Ex-HMS SHERBORNE CASTLE