She was named for Merrittonia, Ont., the modification have been suggested by the town council. Commissioned at Quebec City on November 10, 1944, she arrived at Halifax in mid-December and sailed to Bermuda for a month's workups. On her return Merrittonia was assigned to EG C-7 and left St. John's on February 7 to meet the group, which was westbound with convoy ON.283 from Britain. Thereafter continuously employed on North Atlantic convoy duty, she left Londonderry for the final time at the beginning of June, 1945. She was paid off on July 11 and laid up at Sorel for disposal. Purchased by K.C. Irving Ltd., Moncton, on November 16, 1945, she was wrecked on the Nova Scotia coast on November 30.