The History of the ST. ELOI

Built at Toronto, St. Eloi was commissioned on November 13, 1917. Like Messines, she was turned over to the Department of Marine and Fisheries in 1920 for conversation and ultimately designated Lightship 20. The RCN recovered her in 1940 and she became Gate Vessel 12 for the duration of the war, spending at least part of that time at Shelburne. The Department of Transport, successor to the Department of Marine and Fisheries, took her back in June, 1945 and she was not finally disposed of until 1962.

ST. ELOI Statistical Data

  • Pendant:
  • Type: Trawler
  • Class: Battle Class
  • Displacement: 320 tonnes
  • Length: 130 ft
  • Width: 23.4 ft
  • Draught: 13.4 ft
  • Speed: 10 kts
  • Compliment: Officers and Crew
  • Arms: 1 - 12 pdr
  • Builder: Polson Iron Works, Toronto
  • Keel Laid: Unknown
  • Date Launched: 02-Aug-17
  • Date Commissioned:
  • Paid off:

Keywords: HMCS ST. ELOI, Royal Canadian Navy Ship, Trawler, Battle Class Class