Stationed at Esquimalt, the sloops Shearwater and Algerine were, in 1914, the last remnants of the vanished RN Pacific Squadron. Shearwater's two 4-inch guns were put ashore to defend Seymour Narrows when the First World War broke out, and her crew was sent to Halifax to man HMCS Niobe. The Admiralty agreed to lend Shearwater to the RCN, and on September 8, 1914, she was commissioned as a tender to the newly acquired submarines CC1 and CC2. In the summer of 1917 she sailed with her charges via the Panama Canal to Halifax. She was paid off June 13, 1919, and in 1924 sold into mercantile hands and renamed Vedas. Her register was closed in 1937.