In her prime, Renard had shown a turn of speed to match her destroyer-like appearance, but she was 24 years old when commissioned on May 27, 1940, at Halifax. She left the following day for Quebec City for conversion and arming, returning on December 3 to Halifax, where she was assigned to Halifax Local Defence Force. In April, 1942, she began a long refit at Liverpool, N.S., and Pictou, on completion of which in July she became a torpedo and gunnery training ship attached to HMCS Cornwallis, with torpedo tubes fitted for the purpose. She moved with the establishment to Digby in July, 1943, but returned that November to Halifax to serve as a torpedo-firing ship. Surveyed in 1944 and found not to be worth repairing, she was paid off on August 1. She was sold in 1945, purportedly to become a floating power plant for a Cape Breton mine, but was derelict at Sydney in 1955.
Formerly the Winchester.