Commissioned at Toronto on July 30, 1942, Port Hope arrived at Halifax on August 29 and on completion of workups, joined Halifax Force. In May, 1943, owing to U-boat activity in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, she was transferred to Gaspe Force, but returned to Halifax Force in November. In January, 1944, she was transferred to Newfoundland Force. That October she underwent an extensive refit at Saint John and Halifax, on completion of which she went to Bermuda to work up. Returning, Port Hope served a short further stint with Halifax Force from April to June, 1945, then performed miscellaneous duties on the east coast until paid off at Sydney on October 13, 1945. She lay in strategic reserve at Sorel until 1952, when the RCN reacquired her; but was not recommissioned, and was sold in February, 1959, for breaking up at Sorel.
After 1949 Recommissioned as Pendant 183.