Named after an English river, she was transferred newly built to the RCN at Bristol on March 8, 1944. Following workups at Tobermory in April Monnow joined EG C-2 in May and served with that group until August, when she was re-assigned to EG 9, Londonderry. She served throughout her career in U.K. waters except for a round trip to Gibraltar in October, 1944, and to Kola Inlet with convoys JW.62 and RA.62 in November and December. On May 13, 1945, she left Greenock to pick up JW.67 for North Russia but was detached three days later to escort surrendered U-boats en route from Trondheim to Loch Eriboll. She left Londonderry on May 25 for Sheerness, where on June 11 she was paid off and returned to the RN. That October she was sold to the Danish Navy and re-named Holger Danske. She was broken up at Odense, Denmark in 1959. Monnow was one of two among the larger RCN warships that never saw a Canadian port.