The first of the diesel powered Bangor Class, Melville was commissioned at Quebec City on December 4, 1941. She arrived at Halifax on December 13, worked up, and was assigned to WLEF. In May, 1942, she was transferred to Shelburne Force, returning to WLEF that September. On February 3, 1943, she arrived at Lunenburg for refit and proceeded to Halifax to continue it. She did not resume service until July 8, when she joined WLEF'S recently created EG W-5. In March, 1944, she underwent further repairs at Lunenburg, following which, on June 6, she sailed from Bermuda to work up. Returning to Halifax July 2, she was assigned to Sydney Force until June, 1945. Melville was paid off at Sydney on August 18, 1945, and handed over to the marine section of the RCMP. Renamed Cygnus, she was broken up in 1961.
Named for Melville, Saskatchewan.