Commissioned at Esquimalt on June 6, 1944, Kokanee arrived at Halifax on July 24 and left for Bermuda in August to work up. On arrival at St. John's in September she was assigned to EG C-3 as Senior Officer's ship, and spent the rest of the European war on Atlantic convoy duty. She left Londonderry for the last time on May 25, 1945, with convoy ON.304, and soon after arriving left for the west coast. On October 4 she completed tropicalization refit, but as VJ-Day had intervened she was paid off into reserve on December 21. She was sold to Canadian brokers in 1947, but resold in 1948 to the government of India for conversion to a pilot vessel for the Hooghly River and renamed Bengal in 1950.