Commissioned on August 8, 1944, at Montreal, Hallowell arrived at Halifax on September 3 and left a month later for Bermuda to work up. Returning early in November she was allocated to EG C-1 and was Senior Officer's ship from December onward, remaining with the group until the end of the European war. She left St. John's November 28 to join convoy HX.322, and was thereafter continuously employed escorting North Atlantic convoys. Early in June, 1945, she left Greenock for home, and in July and August was engaged in transporting troops from St. John's to Canada. She was paid off at Sydney on November 7 and placed in reserve at Shelburne. Sold to Uruguayan interests in 1946, site was resold to a Palestinian firm in 1949 for conversion to a short-service Mediterranean ferry and renamed Sharon. In 1952 she was acquired by the Israeli Navy, reconverted to a warship and renamed Misnak. In 1959 she was again sold, this time to the Sinhalese (Sri Lanka) Navy and renamed Gajabahu. She was discarded in 1978.
Was originally planned to be named HMCS PICTON (after Picton, Ontario), but due to possible confusion with HMCS PICTOU, the name of the nearby town of Hallowell, Ontario was used.