Commissioned at Toronto on November 8, 1941,Gananoque arrived at Halifax on November 23. She was assigned to Halifax Local Defence Force and subsequently for brief periods to Halifax Force, St. John's Local Defence Force, Gulf Escort Force, and Sydney Force. In January, 1943, she was assigned to WLEF, returning to Halifax Force in July of the same year and to Sydney Force once again in May, 1944. During this period she had the distinction of twice refitting at other than Atlantic coast ports: in May, 1943, she underwent a six-week refit at Quebec City, and in July, 1944, an eight-week refit at Charlottetown. In February, 1945, she was allocated to Newfoundland Force, based at St. John's, until the force was disbanded in June, whereupon she went to Atlantic Coast Command. Gananoque was paid off at Sydney on October 13, 1945, and laid up at Shelburne. Placed in strategic reserve at Sorel in 1946, she was reacquired by the RCN in 1952 but not recommissioned, and in February, 1959, she was sold for scrap.
After 1949 Recommissioned as Pendant 184.