Named for the village of Bayfield, N.S, she was built at Vancouver for the RN but transferred to the RCN for manning, and commissioned on February 26, 1942. After working up, Bayfield joined Esquimalt Force in May but was transferred to Prince Rupert Force in November returning to Esquimalt in March, 1943, for reassignment to the east coast. She left Esquimalt on March 18, arriving at Halifax on April 30 and, after a major refit at Baltimore, Md., joined Halifax Force until ordered to the U.K. for invasion duties. On February 18, 1944, with Georgian, Mulgrave and Thunder, she left Halifax for Plymouth via the Azores, arriving on March 7. Allocated to the 31st Minesweeping Flotilla, she was present on D-Day, and she remained with Plymouth Command until paid off on September 24, 1945. Returned to the RN, she was placed in reserve at Sheerness until 1948, when she was broken up at Gateshead.