Initially commissioned as HMS Rising Castle (pennant number K398), she was built by Harland and Wolff, Belfast and laid down on 21 June 1943. She was launched on 8 February 1944, but was then transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy and commissioned as HMCS Arnprior (with a new pennant number K494) on 8 June 1944. She was then completed on 26 June 1944.
The Arnprior worked up at Tobermory, after which she was assigned to the 1st Escort Group, based at Londonderry. She sailed with convoy ONM-249 on 19 August 1944. She spent the rest of the Second World War serving in the Atlantic as a convoy escort. After the end of the war in June 1945, Arnprior was refitted at St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador. The refit lasted for two months and was then based at Halifax. She was finally decommissioned on 14 March 1946 and was sold to Uruguay. They renamed her Montevideo and operated her as a training ship until 1975.
Ex-HMS RISING CASTLE