Acadia, a Dominion government hydrographic survey ship, was commissioned as a patrol vessel from January 16, 1719, to March, 1919, and carried out A/S Patrol in the Bay of Fundy, off the south shore of Nova Scotia and in the Gulf of St. Lawrence. She then resumed survey duty until the outbreak of the Second World War when she was commissioned on October 2, 1939, first service as training ship for HMCS Stadacona, later patrolling the Halifax approaches from May, 1940, to March, 1941. She also occasionally acted as close escort from small convoys between Halifax and Halifax Ocean Meeting Point. After refit in 1941, she served as a training ship at Halifax for A/A and DEMS (Defensively Equipped Merchant Ship) gunners and, in June, 1944, went to HMCS Cornwallis as gunnery training ship. Paid off on November 3, 1945, she was returned to the Dominion government. Acadia retired from service on November 28, 1969, to become a museum ship at the Bedford Institute in Dartmouth, N.S. On February 9, 1980, she was handed over to the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic.
Today she is a fixture on the Halifax Harbourfront, right outside the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic.
HMCS Acadia is also the name of a Cadet Summer Training Centre located in Cornwallis, NS.
Acadia 's well-preserved decks, cabins and engine room have attracted numerous film makers who have used the ship to depict a wide variety of vessels. These include: