The first frigate completed on the west coast, Waskesiu was commissioned at Victoria on June 16, 1943, and left for Halifax on July 8. She worked up in Bermuda the following month, returning to Halifax on September 11, and late in October left for Londonderry to join EG 5, renumbered EG 6 on November 21. Waskesiu served chiefly in U.K. waters, but early in 1944 supported Gibraltar and Sierra Leone convoys. On February 24, while escort to SC.153, she sank U 257, and in April made a trip to North Russia to bring back convoy RA.S9. She was present on D-Day. On September 14 she left Londonderry with ON17.253 for Canada, and soon after arriving began an extensive refit at Shelburne. On its completion in March, 1945, she proceeded to Bermuda to work up, following which she sailed for Londonderry via Horta. She left Londonderry for Canada late in May, proceeding to Esquimalt in June to commence tropicalization refit, but work was suspended in August and she was paid off into reserve on January 29, 1946. She was sold to the Indian government in 1947 for conversion to a pilot vessel, and renamed Hooghly in 1950.