Vison left Halifax on June 23, 1940, for Pictou, where she was to be converted and armed. She returned to Halifax on October 2 and was commissioned three days later. She was then assigned to the base at Gaspé, but returned to Halifax that November when the base was closed for the winter. In December, 1940, she was sent southward, operating out of Trinidad and Bermuda until her return to Halifax on May 13, 941. In July she became a member of Gaspé Force, proceeding to Halifax for passage to Trinidad in December, 1941. She rejoined Halifax Local Defence Force in April, 1942, but was transferred to Sydney Force in July. In February, 1943, Vison returned to Halifax as a training ship attached to HMCS Cornwallis and moved with the establishment to Digby in April. She remained there until the end of the war as a seamen's training ship, exercising with RN submarines in the Bay of Fundy, and was paid off for disposal on August 4, 1945.
Formerly the Avalon.