HMCS VICTORIAVILLE (K684)
The History of the VICTORIAVILLE
Commissioned on November 11, 1944, at Quebec City, she arrived at Halifax on December 3 and late that month proceeded to Bermuda to work up. In February, 1945, she was assigned to EG C-9, leaving Halifax on February 27 to join convoy SC.168 for her passage to Londonderry, where the group was based. Victoriaville spent the balance of the war on North Atlantic convoy duty. She left Barry, Wales, on May 2 to pick up convoy ON.300 on her way home to Canada, and on May 12 escorted the surrendered U 190 into Bay Bulls, Nfld. She began tropicalization refit at Saint John, N.B., on May 24, but work was stopped on August 20, and on November 17 the ship was paid off at Sydney and laid up at Shelburne. Subsequently sold to Marine Industries Ltd., she was re-acquired by the RCN and re-commissioned on September 25, 1959, following conversion to a Prestonian class ocean escort. On December 21, 1966, she assumed the name and duties of the retiring diving tender Granby, but was paid off December 31, 1973, and sold for scrap the following year.
VICTORIAVILLE Statistical Data
- Pendant: K684
- Type: Frigate
- Class: RIVER Class 43-44 Programme
- Displacement: 1445 tonnes
- Length: 301.5 ft
- Width: 36.6 ft
- Draught: 9 ft
- Speed: 19 kts
- Compliment: 8 Officers and 133 Crew
- Arms: 2-4" (1 x II), 4-20mm, Hedgehog
- Builder: George T. Davie & Sons Ltd., Lauzon. Que.
- Keel Laid: 02-Dec-43
- Date Launched: 23-Jun-44
- Date Commissioned: 11-Nov-44
- Paid off: 17-Nov-45
Recommissioned as a Prestonian Class on 25-Sep-59. Pendant Number 320. Finally Paid Off 31-Dec-73.
Post War HMCS VICTORIAVILLE