Commissioned at Quebec City on August 27, 1942, she arrived at Halifax on September 15 and was allocated to WLEF. In June, 1943, she became a member of newly created EG W-4. In May, 1944, she was transferred to Sydney Force, and from December 1944 to February, 1945, underwent a major refit at Lunenburg. Truro was then assigned briefly to Halifax Force before returning to Sydney Force until June, 1945. Paid off on July 31 at Sydney, she was handed over to the RCMP later that year and renamed Herchmer. She was sold for mercantile use in 1947 and, as Gulf Mariner was abandoned ashore in the Fraser River after plans to convert her to a suction dredge had fallen through. She was broken up in 1964.