HMCS SUMMERSIDE (711)
The History of the SUMMERSIDE
HMCS Summerside (MM 711) is a Kingston-class coastal defence vessel that has served in the Canadian Forces since 1999.
Summerside is the twelfth ship of her class which is the name for the Maritime Coastal Defence Vessel Project. She is the second vessel to use the designation HMCS Summerside.
Summerside was laid down on 28 March 1998 at Halifax Shipyards Ltd., Halifax and was launched on 25 September 1998. She was officially commissioned into the CF on 18 July 1999 and carries the pennant number 711.
She is assigned to Maritime Forces Atlantic (MARLANT) and is homeported at CFB Halifax.
SUMMERSIDE Statistical Data
- Pendant: 711
- Type: Maritime Coastal Defence Vessel
- Class: Kingston
- Displacement: 970 tonnes
- Length: 55.31 m / 181.5 ft
- Width: 11.3 m / 37 ft
- Draught: 3.4 m / 11 ft
- Speed: 15 kts
- Compliment: 31-36 Officers and Crew
- Arms: 1 - 40mm Bofors, 2 - 12.7 mm M.G.
- Builder: Halifax Shipyards Ltd., Halifax, NS
- Keel Laid: 28-Mar-98
- Date Launched: 25-Sep-98
- Date Commissioned: 18-Jul-99
- Paid off: