Commissioned October 15, 1941, at Montreal, Sudbury arrived at Halifax on October 26. She joined Sydney Force as local escort to ocean convoys but in January, 1942, joined Newfoundland Command, making one round trip to Londonderry. On her return she transferred to the newly formed WLEF and in June, to Halifax Tanker Escort Force. In the following three months she made two round trips to Trinidad and one to Aruba, escorting tankers both ways. That September Sudbury was placed under U.S. control, escorting New York-Guantanamo convoys. She arrived at Liverpool, N.S., on December 26, for two months' refit, worked up at Halifax and then joined WLEF, in June, 1943, becoming a member of EG W-9. That September she was lent to EG C-5 for her second transatlantic trip, afterward resuming service with W-9 until New Year's Day, 1944, when she left for the west coast. She arrived at Esquimalt on February 3, 1944, and later that month commenced refit, including fo'c's'le extension, at Vancouver. On completion on May 10, she joined Esquimalt Force for the duration of the war, being paid off on August 28, 1945, at Esquimalt. After the war Sudbury was sold and converted for use as a salvage tug, entering service in 1949 under her original name. She was broken up at Victoria in 1967.
Focsle Extended, Vancouver, BC, 10 May 44