Commissioned at Montreal on July 21, 1944, Stone Town arrived at Halifax on August 13, and on September 3 commenced a month's workups in Bermuda. On her return to Canada she was assigned to newly formed EG C-8 as Senior Officer's ship, and spent the balance of the war as a mid-ocean escort. She sailed from Londonderry on May 12, 1945, as escort to convoy ONS.50 on her way home, and on July 22 commenced tropicalization refit at Lunenburg. Work was stopped on August 24 and the ship was paid off on November 13 at Lunenburg, to be laid up in reserve at Shelburne. Sold to the Department of Transport for a weather ship, she was modified for the purpose at Halifax in 1950, and sailed that October for Esquimalt. In October, 1957, after 15 years on station in the North Pacific, she was replaced by CGS Quadra and sold in 1968 to a Vancouver buyer, purportedly for conversion to a fish factory ship.