Laid down as HMCS Sandgate Castle, she was transferred to the RCN and commissioned at Middlesbrough on May 4, 1944. In June St. Thomas carried out workups at Tobermory, leaving later that month for Londonderry where, in July, she became part of EG C-3. She sailed on August 3 to join ONF.247, her first convoy, and was employed as an ocean escort for the rest of the war. On December 27, 1944, while escorting HX.327, she sank U 877 in the North Atlantic. She left Londonderry for the last time on April 11, 1945, commencing refit on arrival at Halifax April 30. Following completion of the refit in July she sailed for the west coast and was paid off at Esquimalt on November 22. In 1946 she was sold to the Union Steamship Co., Vancouver, converted to a coastal passenger vessel, and renamed Camosun. She was renamed Chilcotin in 1958 and, later that year, Yukon Star. After several years idleness, she was broken up at Tacoma in 1974.
Ex-HMS SANDGATE CASTLE