Built by Marine Industries Ltd., Sorel, St. Croix was commissioned on 4 October 1958. In 1959, as a member of the 5th Canadian Destroyer Squadron, she served as escort to HMY Britannia on a Royal visit to Canada and in August 1960, with Terra Nova, helped mark the 500th Anniversary of the death of Prince Henry the Navigator off Lisbon. St. Croix was transferred to the west coast in August 1964. She returned to Halifax in 1973, she was paid off on 15 November 1974, into Category "C" Reserve. Her guns and propellers were removed and her machinery spaces made into classrooms for Fleet School trainees. She served in this capacity from 1984 to September 1990. In 1991 St. Croix was sold to Jacobson Metal of Chesapeake, Va., and early in April left Halifax to be broken up.