HMCS SAULT STE. MARIE (J334)
The History of the SAULT STE. MARIE
Commissioned at Port Arthur on June 24, 1943, this was the first Algerine class ship to join the RCN. Originally intended to be named ?The Soo? she was renamed owing to objections from her namesake city. Sault Ste. Marie arrived at Halifax on August 8, 1943, and proceeded to Bermuda for workups in September. On her return she joined EG W-9 of Western Escort Force, serving as Senior Officer's ship until mid-April, 1945. She then transferred as S.O. to W-7 until the group was disbanded in June. After a short period in reserve at Sydney she was ordered to the west coasts arriving at Esquimalt on December 12. She was paid off into reserve on January 12, 1946, but recommissioned for reserve training on May 7, 1949. The ship returned to the east coast in mid-December 1955, and spent the summers of 1956 to 1958 on the Great Lakes. She was paid off on October 1, 1958, and broken up in 1960 at Sorel.
SAULT STE. MARIE Statistical Data
- Pendant: J334
- Type: Minesweeper
- Class: ALGERINE Class
- Displacement: 990 tonnes
- Length: 225 ft
- Width: 35.5 ft
- Draught: 8.5 ft
- Speed: 16 kts
- Compliment: 8 Officers and 99 Crew
- Arms: 1-4" Gun, 4-20mm, Hedgehog.
- Builder: Port Arthur Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Port Arthur, Ont.
- Keel Laid: 27-Jan-42
- Date Launched: 05-Aug-42
- Date Commissioned: 24-Jun-43
- Paid off: 01-Dec-46
After 1949 Recommissioned as Pendant 176.