Commissioned at Toronto on August 13, 1942, Sarnia arrived at Halifax on September 22, having escorted a Quebec-Sydney convoy en route, and was assigned to Newfoundland Force. In September 1944, she underwent a major refit at Lunenburg, and on completion went to Bermuda in November to work up. On her return to Canada she was assigned to Halifax Force and, later to Halifax Local Defence Force until June, 1945. On April 15, 1945, she rescued survivors of HMCS Esquimalt, torpedoed outside Halifax. She then performed miscellaneous duties until paid off on October 28, 1945, at Sydney and laid up at Shelburne. In 1946 she was placed in strategic reserve at Sorel and in 1951 reacquired by the RCN and extensively refitted. She did not recommission, however, and on March 29, 1958 was transferred to the Turkish Navy to serve until 1972 as Buyukdere.
She was named after the city of Sarnia, Ontario. After 1949 renumbered as Pendant 190.