Completed in 1935 as HMS Foxhound, she was a member of the 8th Flotilla, Home Fleet, on the outbreak of war, and on September 14, shared in the sinking of U 39 off the Hebrides - the first U-boat "Kill" of the war. In April, 1940, she took part in the second Battle of Narvik, and that November was transferred to Force 'H' at Gibraltar. On June 18, 1941, she shared in the sinking of U 138 west of Cadiz, and she took one convoy to Malta. From January, 1942 to May, 1943, she served with the Eastern Fleet, then transferred to West Africa Command, Freetown. In September, 1943, she returned to the U.K. for an extensive refit on the Humber, and on February 8, 1944, was commissioned there as HMCS Qu'Appelle. She served on D-Day with EG 12, and afterward took part in Biscay and Channel patrols, latterly with EG 11. She arrived at Halifax for the first time on November 29, 1944, and proceed to Pictou, N.S., for refit. Completing this refit on March 31, 1945, she served as a troop transport between Greenock and Halifax from August to October. She was paid off on October 11 to serve as a stationary training ship attached to the Torpedo School at Halifax. Removed from service in June, 1944, 1946, Qu'Appelle was sold in 1947 for scrapping at Sydney, N.S.
Ex HMS FOXHOUND