HMCS OUTARDE (J161)
The History of the OUTARDE
Named for Outarde Bay, Que., she was commissioned at Vancouver on December 4, 1941.
Outarde spent her whole career on the west coast, alternately serving with the Prince Rupert and Esquimalt Forces.
She was paid off November 24, 1945, at Esquimalt, sold in 1946 for conversion to a merchant ship, and renamed Ping Hsin by her Shanghai owners. Her location is sketchy after 1950.
OUTARDE Statistical Data
- Pendant: J161
- Type: Minesweeper
- Class: BANGOR Class (39-40 Programme)
- Displacement: 672 tonnes
- Length: 180 ft
- Width: 28.5 ft
- Draught: 8.3 ft
- Speed: 16 kts
- Compliment: 6 Officers and 77 Crew
- Arms: 1-4" Gun, 1-3" Gun, 2-20mm
- Builder: North Van Ship Repairs Ltd., Vancouver, B.C.
- Keel Laid: 15-Oct-40
- Date Launched: 27-Jan-41
- Date Commissioned: 04-Dec-41
- Paid off: 24-Nov-45