HMCS Ottawa (DDH 229) was a St. Laurent-class destroyer that served in the Royal Canadian Navy and later the Canadian Forces from 1956-1992.
She was commissioned into the RCN on 10 November 1956 and initially carried the pennant number DDE 229 as a destroyer escort. She underwent conversion to a destroyer helicopter escort (DDH) in the early 1960s and was officially reclassed with pennant DDH 229 on 21 October 1964.
In 1968 she became the first bilingual ship of Maritime Command.
Ottawa was selected by the Canadian Forces for the Destroyer Life Extension (DELEX) program and completed this refit on 26 November 1982.
She was decommissioned from active service in the CF on 31 July 1992. Ottawa had steamed 834,634 nautical miles (1,545,742 km) over her lifetime, visiting over 350 ports in more than 40 countries throughout the world.
She was scrapped in 1994.
Two major refit/reconfigurations. Re-commissioned as DDH 21 Oct 64. DELEX refit completed 1982.