HMCS NEW WATERFORD (K321)
The History of the NEW WATERFORD
Commissioned on January 21, 1944, at Victoria, she arrived at Halifax on March 9 and in Bermuda on April 22 to work up. Returning to Halifax, she was assigned to EG 6 as a replacement for tile damaged HMCS Teme, and sailed for Londonderry on June 19. She remained with the group until the end of the European war; detached for short periods to Portsmouth and Plymouths and in April 1945, returned home for tropicalization refit at Liverpool, N.S. This was completed in November, and New Waterford left in January, 1946, for the west coast, where she was paid off to reserve at Esquimalt on March 7. Briefly recommissioned in 1953, she later underwent conversion to a Prestonian class ocean escort, commissioning as such on January 31, 1958. She was paid off for the last time on December 22, 1966, and broken up the following year at Savona, Italy.
NEW WATERFORD Statistical Data
- Pendant: K321
- Type: Frigate
- Class: RIVER Class 42-43 Programme
- Displacement: 1445 tonnes
- Length: 301.5 ft
- Width: 36.6 ft
- Draught: 9 ft
- Speed: 19 kts
- Compliment: 8 Officers and 133 Crew
- Arms: 1-4" (1 x II), 1-12 pdr.
- Builder: Yarrows Ltd.. Esquimalt, B.C.
- Keel Laid: 17-Feb-43
- Date Launched: 03-Jul-43
- Date Commissioned: 21-Jan-44
- Paid off: 7-Mar-46
Recommissioned as a Prestonian Class on 31-Jan-58. Pendant Number 304. Finally Paid Off 2-Dec-66.
Post War HMCS NEW WATERFORD