A product of Halifax Shipyards Ltd., Margaree was commissioned on 5 October 1957 for services on the west coast, and began her conversion to a DDH at Victoria Machinery Depot on 25 September 1964. Re-commissioned on 15 October 1965, she returned to Halifax. On 1 April 1979, some 200 nautical miles south of Halifax, using gunfire she sank the bow section of the tanker Kurdistan, which had been towed there for that purpose after breaking in half on 15 March south of Cabot Strait. Margaree commenced her DELEX refit at Canadian Vickers Ltd., Montreal, on 5 May 1980, being towed to HMC Dockyard, Halifax when it appeared she might become ice-bound before its completion the following year. In later years she was several times Canada's representative in Standing Naval Force Atlantic (SNFL). In August 1991 Margaree took part in a re-enactment of the signing of the Atlantic Charter at Argentia, Nfld. Paid off on 2 May 1992, she left Halifax in tow for India on 13 March 1994, to be broken up.
Two major refit/reconfigurations. Re-commissioned as DDH 15 Oct 65. DELEX refit comnpleted 1980.