Commissioned at Vancouver on August 4, 1941, Malpeque left for Halifax on September 13, arriving on October 19. She was briefly assigned to Sydney Force, then to Newfoundland Forces with which she served until February 16.1, 1944, when, with Caraquet, Cowichan and Vegreville, she sailed for' the U.K. via the Azores for invasion duties. Arriving at Plymouth on March 13, she was assigned to the 31st Minesweeping Flotilla, and was present on D-Day. She proceeded to Canada in April, 1945, for refit at Liverpool, N.S., but returned to the U.K. in June and remained there until September. She then returned home and was paid off on October 9, 1945, to reserve at Shelburne. Taken to Sorel in 1946 and placed in strategic reserve, she was reacquired by the RCN in 1952 and laid up at Sydney. Never recommissioned, she was sold for scrap in February, 1959.
After 1949 changed to Pendant 186.