Laid down as HMS Walmer Castle, she was transferred to the RCN and commissioned on August 21, 1944, at Middlesbrough. Following workups at Tobermory in September Leaside arrived at Londonderry early in October to join EG C-8, then forming. She sailed on October 22 to meet ON.261, her first convoy, and served the rest of the war as an ocean escort. On May 22, 1945, she made her last departure from 'Derry to join ONS.50. She left St. John's in June for Esquimalt, where she was paid off for disposal on November 16. Sold in 1946 to the Union Steamship Co., Vancouver, she was converted to a coastal passenger vessel and renamed Coquitlam. In 1950 she was renamed Glacier Queen and in 1970 stripped in anticipation of becoming a floating restaurant. The hulk sank in Cook Inlet, Alaska, on November 8, 1978, but was raised and towed to sea and scuttled in January, 1979.
Ex-HMS WALMER CASTLE