Commissioned at Port Arthur on August 17, 1944, Kapuskasing arrived at Halifax early in September and on October 1 proceeded to Bermuda to work up. She returned to Halifax in mid-November and was assigned as Senior Officer's ship to EG W-1 of Western Escort Force. When the force was disbanded in June, 1945, she was placed temporarily in maintenance reserve at Sydney, and then taken to Halifax for refit in November. On completion of the refit she was paid off into reserve on March 27, 1946. In 1949 she was lent to the Department of Mines and Technical Surveys and converted for hydrographic survey work. Returned to the navy in 1972, she was expended as a target on October 3, 1978.
After 1949 renumbered as Pendant 171.