Built at Vancouver for the RN but transferred to the RCN for manning, Ingonish was commissioned on May 8, 1942. She saw her first service with the Esquimalt and Prince Rupert Forces. She left Esquimalt March 17, 1943, for Halifax where, after her arrival on April 30, she was allocated briefly to Western Local Defence Force and then, in June, to Halifax Force. In mid-November she had a nine-week refit at Baltimore, Md. In May, 1944, she was transferred to Sydney Force and in February, 1945, back again to Halifax Force. Following an extensive refit at Saint John she went in May to work up in Bermuda and in June sailed for the U.K. She was returned to the RN at Sheerness on July 2, 1945, and placed in reserve until taken to Dunston-on- Tyne for scrapping in 1948.