HMCS GATINEAU (2nd) (236)
The History of the GATINEAU (2nd)
HMCS Gatineau (DDE 236) was a Restigouche-class destroyer that served in the Royal Canadian Navy and later the Canadian Forces from 1959-1996. She was the third ship in her class and the second vessel to carry the designation HMCS Gatineau.
Gatineau was laid down on 30 April 1953 at Davie Shipbuilding Ltd., Lauzon and launched on 3 June 1957. She was officially commissioned into the RCN on 17 February 1959 and carried the pendant number 236 as a destroyer escort.
Gatineau offered a 21 gun salute to President Dwight Eisenhower and Queen Elizabeth II on June 26, 1959 for the official Opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway.
Gatineau was selected by the Canadian Forces for the Improved Restigouche (IRE) program and completed this refit on 14 April 1971. She was also selected as one of 10 destroyers in the Destroyer Life Extension (DELEX) program and completed this refit on 12 November 1982.
She served until she was decommissioned on 24 May 1996. Afterward, she was laid up at CFB Halifax's HMC Dockyard Annex in Dartmouth.
On 20 November 2009, along with her sister ship Terra Nova, Gatineau departed Halifax Harbour by tow and was taken to Pictou, NS to be dismantled for salvage.
GATINEAU (2nd) Statistical Data
- Pendant: 236
- Type: Destroyer Escort
- Class: Restigouche
- Displacement: 2,366 / 2,390 (post refit) tonnes
- Length: 366 / 372 (post refit) ft
- Width: 42 ft
- Draught: 13.5 / 14.1 (post refit) ft
- Speed: 28 kts
- Compliment: 12 Officers and 237 Crew
- Arms: 4 - 3" (2 x II), 2 Limbo, Homing Torpedoes. After IRE refit: 2-3" (1 x II), 1 Limbo, 1 ASROC, Homing Torpedoes.
- Builder: Davie Shipbuilding, Lauzon Quebec
- Keel Laid: 30-Apr-53
- Date Launched: 03-Jun-57
- Date Commissioned: 17-Feb-59
- Paid off: 24-May-96
Modified as Improved Restigouche Class 1969-1971. DELEX refit in 1983.