The name represents an odd effort to honour Verdun, Quebec, without duplicating the name of the destroyer HMS Verdun. The first frigate launched for the RCN, Dunver was commissioned at Quebec City on September 11, 1943 and arrived at Halifax on October 3, having escorted a Sydney-Halifax convoy en route. After working up at Pictou she was allocated to EG C-5, and served continuously on North Atlantic convoys until October 1944. That July she had been Senior Officer's ship while escorting HXS.300, the largest convoy of the war with 167 merchant ships. On September 9, she and HMCS Hespeler sank U 484 near convoy ONF.202, south of the Hebrides. In Octobers 1944, she commenced refitting at Pictou, completing on December 27, and in April, 1945, joined EG 27, based at Halifax, for the rest of the European war. In June she went to the west coast for tropicalization, but this was discontinued in August and she was laid up at Esquimalt. Paid off January 23, 1946, Dunver was sold and her hull expended as part of a breakwater at Royston, B.C., in 1948.
Named after Verdun, Quebec. Since there was already a RN ship named HMS VERDUN, the Dunver name was created using a transposition of the syllables.