The first RCN corvette to enter service, Collingwood, was commissioned on November 9, 1940, at Collingwood, arrived at Halifax December 4, and joined Halifax Force in January, 1941. She sailed on May 23 as one of the seven corvettes that were charter members of Newfoundland Command, and in June commenced six months' employment as an escort between St. John's and Iceland. Early in December she began a two-month refit at Halifax, following which she resumed mid-ocean escort duties between St. John's and Londonderry. These duties continued, with time off for three minor refits, until the end of 1944. From December, 1942, onward she was a member of EG C-4. Collingwood was involved in one major convoy battle, that of HX.133 in June, 1941, when eight ships were torpedoed and six sunk. During her refit at New York City from October to December, 1943, she received her extended fo'c's'le. She left Londonderry on November 16, 1944, for the last time, refitted briefly at Liverpool, N.S., then went to Digby to serve as a training ship from April to June, 1945. Paid off on July 23, 1945, and laid up at Sorel, she was broken up at Hamilton, Ont., in 1950.
Focsle Extended, New York, NY, 14 Dec 43