Carlplace was commissioned on December 13, 1944, at Quebec City, the last RCN frigate to enter service. En route to Halifax, she suffered serious ice damage to her hull, necessitating several weeks' repairs at Halifax and Philadelphia. She then proceeded to Bermuda to work up, returning to Halifax on March 24, 1945. In April she was allocated to EG 16, Londonderry and sailed for the Clyde via the Azores, escorting an RN submarine homeward bound from refit in the U.S. She finally arrived at Londonderry on April 23 and left on May 5 to escort convoys to and from Gibraltar. Later that month she returned to Canada for tropicalization refit at Saint John, N.B. Begun on June 2 and continued at Shelburne, N.S., on July 10, the work was called off on August 20, and on November 13, 1945, the ship was paid off at Halifax and laid up at Shelburne. Sold to the Dominican Republic in 1946 for conversion to a presidential yacht, she was renamed Presidente Trujillo and, in 1962, Mella.
Named for Carleton Place, Ontario.