Buxton was originally USS Edwards (DD-265), a Clemson-class destroyer in the United States Navy. She was launched 10 October 1918 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation, Squantum, Massachusetts and commissioned 24 April 1919 at Boston Navy Yard. She was decommissioned from the USN on 8 October 1940, and delivered to the British Government as one of the destroyers exchanged for bases.
Commissioned in the Royal Navy 8 October 1940 as HMS Buxton (H96) for service in the third "Town" Flotilla, the destroyer served in Canadian waters briefly as the U-boat war intensified; she was then allocated to 6th Escort Group, Western Approaches Command, for dangerous and vital duty keeping the supply line open to Britain. Buxton was modified for trade convoy escort service by removal of three of the original 4"/50 caliber guns and one of the triple torpedo tube mounts to reduce topside weight for additional depth charge stowage and installation of hedgehog.
In October 1943, when newer escorts were available, she was transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy, and stationed at Digby, Nova Scotia, until the end of 1944. She was finally paid off early in 1945.
Ex USS EDWARDS and later HMS Buxton