HMCS Brockville was built in Sorel, Quebec, with its keel laid down at Marine Industries in early December 1940. It was launched in June 1941 and was christened by Brockville's Frances MacOdrum, the wife of Mayor Gordon MacOdrum. She was commissioned in 1942 and was part of the largest mass launching in a Canadian shipyard, according to a newspaper at the time.
After commissioning, she arrived at Halifax on October 20 in need of two weeks' repairs, having grounded at Rimouski en route. After working up, she was assigned briefly to WLEF and then to Halifax Force. In March she was transferred back to WLEF and when that force was divided into escort groups in June, she became a member of EG W-3. In May, 1944, Brockville returned to Sydney Force, remaining with it until June, 1945. She had two wartime refits: one at Dalhousie, N.B., lasting seven weeks in August and September 1943; the other a three-month refit at Lunenburg at the end of 1944, followed by workups in Bermuda in March, 1945.
On August 28, 1945, she was paid off at Halifax, transferred to tide marine section of the RCMP and renamed Macleod. Brockville was reacquired by the RCN in 1950 and recommissioned on April 5, 1951. In 1952, after a modernization refit, she was assigned to Port Edward Naval Base, Sydney, N.S. Later she was transferred to the west coast. She was paid off into reserve at Esquimalt on October 31, 1958, and broken up three years later.
After 1949 Recommissioned as Pendant 178. (As pictured.)