Laid down as HMS Nunney Castle, she was transferred to the RCN and commissioned at Sunderland, U.K., on September 28, 1944. Following workups at Tobermory Bowmanville joined EG C-4 at Londonderry, sailing on November 24 to join her first convoy, ON.268. She served continuously as an ocean escort for the rest of the war. Early in June, 1945, she left Londonderry for the last time, and was based at Halifax until paid off on February 15, 1946. She was sold into mercantile service in 1947 under the Chinese flag, and first renamed Ta Shun, then Yuan Pei. In 1949 she was taken over by the Chinese Communist government, re-armed and re-named Kuang Chou.
Ex-HMS HUNNEY CASTLE