HMCS ANTIGONISH (K661)
The History of the ANTIGONISH
HMCS Antigonish (K661) was a River class frigate that served in the Royal Canadian Navy from 1944-1946 and as a Prestonian class frigate from 1957-1966.
Commissioned at Victoria on July 4, 1944, she arrived at Halifax on August 22 and after undergoing minor repairs, sailed for Bermuda in mid-October to work up. On her return to Halifax on November 2, she joined EG 16, transferring with the group to Londonderry in March, 1945. During the next three months Antigonish was employed on patrol and support duty, including two round trips to Gibraltar. She left Londonderry in mid-Jone and on July 3 began tropicalization refit at Pictou, completing November 17. On December 22 she left for Esquimalt and there. on February 5, 1946, was paid off into reserve.
She was placed in reserve in 1946 and reactivated in 1947 for use as a training ship until 1954. She underwent conversion to a Prestonian class frigate in 1956-1957 and was recommissioned with pennant 301 on 12 October 1957.
She was paid off by the RCN in December 1966. She was broken up in Japan in 1968.
ANTIGONISH Statistical Data
- Pendant: K661
- Type: Frigate
- Class: RIVER Class 43-44 Programme
- Displacement: 1445 tonnes
- Length: 301.5 ft
- Width: 36.6 ft
- Draught: 9 ft
- Speed: 19 kts
- Compliment: 8 Officers and 133 Crew
- Arms: 2-4" (1 x II), 4-20mm, Hedgehog
- Builder: Yarrows Ltd.. Esquimalt, B.C.
- Keel Laid: 02-Oct-43
- Date Launched: 02-Oct-44
- Date Commissioned: 04-Jul-44
- Paid off: 02-May-46
Recommissioned as a Prestonian Class on 12-Oct-57. Pendant Number 301. Finally Paid Off 30-Nov-66.
Post War HMCS ANTIGONISH